[Go-essp-tech] FW: AGU Session

Williams, Dean N. williams13 at llnl.gov
Tue Jul 8 07:59:20 MDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to the following session:

Advanced Information Systems to Support Climate Projection Data Analysis

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm14/webprogrampreliminary/Session3501.html

Session ID#: 3501

Session Description:
In this session we propose to bring together experts in climate modeling, remote sensing of the Earth, and cyber infrastructure. At NASA, we have seen a tremendous increase in the data volume, velocity and complexity from surface, spacecraft, and airborne instruments. There is a large demand in the climate community to collaboratively bring these data to bear for model evaluation and understanding. The climate model output volume is increasing (AR5 to AR6) at comparatively huge rates, as are the data formats e.g., NetCDF/CF multiple versions; to HDF4/5, and multiple versions of HDF-EOS. In these Big Data environments we are interested in tools, techniques and approaches for rapidly, effectively and collaboratively bringing climate model output and remote sensing data together. Also of interest are strategies for crowdsourcing the information systems. We encourage presentations from funded members of NASA, NOAA, NSF, DOE, USGS, DARPA and other Big Data communities.
Co-Sponsor(s):

  *   A - Atmospheric Sciences
  *   GC - Global Environmental Change

Index Terms:

1627 Coupled models of the climate system [GLOBAL CHANGE]
1920 Emerging informatics technologies [INFORMATICS]
3337 Global climate models [ATMOSPHERIC PROCESSES]
3360 Remote sensing [ATMOSPHERIC PROCESSES]
Primary Convener:  Tsengdar J Lee, NASA, Burke, VA, United States; NASA Headquarters, Washington, DC, United States
Co-conveners:  Cecelia DeLuca, CIRES, Boulder, CO, United States; NOAA Boulder, Boulder, CO, United States, Gerald L Potter, NASA Goddard Space Flight, Greenbelt, MD, United States; University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, MI, United States and Chris A Mattmann, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA, United States

Best regards,
Dean