[Go-essp-tech] Meetings

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Tue Jan 7 16:57:00 MST 2014

Dear All,
I was recently notified about an upcoming conference organized by the UCAR Software Engineering Assembly -- details are at http://sea.ucar.edu/conference/2014. It is advertised as a "technical conference to keep software engineers up-to-date of modern practices and to foster collaboration within UCAR/NCAR and along with out peer institutions." It sounds like it could be really useful, something like what the GO-ESSP meetings of years past have been.

I would welcome the opportunity to meet with my fellow software engineers to discuss the issues I am facing and to learn about strategies that are working for them as they face similar challenges. Some examples from my portfolio include juggling all the open source libraries (some more dead than alive) that are required to support the numerous data formats and analysis capabilities demanded by my users. Or how about the challenges of managing and analyzing really big volumes of climate model output that are generated at remote supercomputer centers and reside at multiple locations? Obviously, CMIP5 and ESGF address this particular issue and have dominated the discussion lately, but we are still struggling with how to implement customized unix-based analysis interfaces that operate on big remote data sets. I would also like to learn about how to succeed in the current funding climate. If collaboration between institutions is to be fostered, then please consider attending this meeting and making it more informative, worthwhile, and productive. If not this meeting, then which one?

--Jennifer

--
Jennifer M. Adams
111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3