[Go-essp-tech] Directory structure proposal and a doodle poll

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Thu Mar 14 10:54:15 MDT 2013

Hi again,

Yes, this is true.  For CMIP5 there was a case where the "rip" numbers
(identifying ensemble members) weren't originally coordinated between
two centers running the same model, and metadata and file names had to
be corrected.  I should note, that if we get away from the idea that
institution somehow can be used to identify data (as opposed to using
for this purpose the model that actually produced the data), then folks
running models will more like realize that it is important to coordinate
the labeling of their simulation output.

One requirement for filenames for CMIP5 was that they should be unique
across the entire archive.  If two institutions ran the same model and
didn't coordinate "rip" identifying numbers, then we could have
duplicate names which users would find confusing at the very least.

Karl

On 3/14/13 9:31 AM, Jeffrey F. Painter wrote:
> [...]
>> modify it to download a different variable (although its hard to be
>> sure of success).
>>
>> Concerning your proposed directory structure, I have two comments:
>>
>> 1)  I would recommend omitting the "institution" subdirectory.  For
>> CMIP5 I think it was a mistake to include this (and also, I wouldn't
>> include it at a search category). The institution can be recorded in
>> the metadata of each file. If the same model was run at more than 1
>> institution, then I'd like to see all the simulations under a single
>> "model" subdirectory, not split across two directories under
>> different institutions.
>>
>> 2) When possible, I would stick with the terminology established in
>> the "CMIP5 Data Reference Syntax (DRS) and Controlled Vocabularies"
>> document available at:
>> http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/docs/cmip5_data_reference_syntax.pdf
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Karl
>>

>> On 3/12/13 10:14 AM, Galia Guentchev wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> Several groups have expressed interest to publish downscaled climate
>>> datasets on ESGF. A standardized solution to publishing (directory
>>> structure elements) would contribute to the prompt identification of
>>> datasets. To discuss needs and options for directory structure
>>> elements we had an initial teleconference about a month ago. With
>>> this email we are expanding our reach to other groups, such as the
>>> go-essp group, in order to have a wider discussion of these elements.
>>>
>>> As agreed during our first teleconference, Aparna and Galia worked
>>> on a proposal for a Directory Structure for publishing downscaled
>>> datasets on ESGF. We would like to focus our next teleconference on
>>> discussing this proposal. Below please find a doodle poll for a
>>> potential next teleconference.
>>>
>>> http://doodle.com/hrwthqs2g5pgsyv6

>>> Details of each element of the proposed directory structure:
>>>
>>> Proposed elements -
>>> /projectID/sub-project/product/institution/*predictorModel/experimentID/frequency/realm/MIPtable/Pred**
>>> **ictor_experiment_rip/predictorversion*//downscalingMethod/predictand
>>> (variableName)/region///DownscaledDataversion//file_name.nc
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> /ncpp2013/perfectModel/downscaled/NOAA-GFDL/*GFDL-HIRAM-C360-coarsened/amip/day/atmos/day/r1i1p1/v20121024*//GFDL-ARRMv1/tasmax/US48/v20120227//tasmax_day_amip_r1i1p1_downscaled_US48_GFDLARRMv1_19790101-19831231.nc
>>>
>>> The new element sub-project (in blue above) gives the opportunity to
>>> indicate to users that in the one case the method was trained on
>>> observations (standard setting), and in the other on model that was
>>> considered to be the truth (perfect model setting);
>>> The options there could be: PerfectModel or Standard - where
>>> possibly there could be a different name instead of 'standard' for
>>> the standard downscaling setting.
>>>
>>> For NASA datasets some of the directories could be:

>>> product = downscaled
>>> institution = NASA-Ames
>>> predictorModel - original model value
>>> experimentID = historical