[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 Grid

Steve Hankin steven.c.hankin at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 26 17:34:13 MST 2012

Hi Jacqueline,

Much of the ESGF (CMIP5) support team is involved in a technical meeting
this week, so I'm stepping in from the side-lines to see if I can help
you out.  I'll step aside if one of the ESGF help desk folks comes on-line.

Each of the models potentially defines its own unique grid, and
depending upon the particulars of the grid there are easier or more
arduous ways to get the data into a GIS environment.  Lets start with
which datasets you are downloading from ESGF.  When I try a search on
         "plant functional types AND past1000"
from ESGF (using the node at PCMDI) I get four hits:  two from Max
Plank, one from University of Tokyo and one from IPSL.  Are we on the
same track?

If you have already downloaded an example netCDF file, then do you have
the utility called "ncdump" available to you?  If so, I can help you
forward starting at that point.  I'll wait to hear back from you before
proceeding further.  Feel free to take this discussion offline at your
discretion.

     - Steve Hankin
     (NOAA/Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory)