[Go-essp-tech] Early draft of ESGF THREDDS profile document

Gavin M. Bell gavin at llnl.gov
Mon Mar 12 10:32:36 MDT 2012

Hi Stephen,

I agree with Dean, this is great.  I was just thinking about doing this
today... I was going to reverse engineer the thredds catalog xml into an
xsd of only thing things we represent in our catalogs.  But I see you
have embarked on this mission so have at it, let me know what I can do
to help.  Estani and I have talked about this for a while - the need for
a succinct (hand waving) and explicit grammar for catalogs.  I like that
you are moving along with the header(mutable)/body(immutable) approach.
I believe it is the right thing to do.  There is a data location
structural issue that will come up i.e. "dataspace" level file system
description - eh ehm (DRS) - I have been anticipating this as I've been
push for a canonical catalog description.  It will dove tail into this
effort later.

I believe we need to have a canonical catalog and a description of such
that is germane to how *we* use the data now and future.
To get there...

- "xsd" of catalog
- canonical dataspace "filesystem" description

Stephen, if there isn't already a working group on the esgf.org wiki,
please make one.

P.S.
I cross posted to the esgf-devel list to get some other technical eyes
on this as well.

--
Gavin M. Bell
--

 "Never mistake a clear view for a short distance."
       	       -Paul Saffo