[Go-essp-tech] What is the risk that science is done using 'deprecated' data?

Gavin M. Bell gavin at llnl.gov
Fri Mar 9 03:05:16 MST 2012

Stephen,

I wholly agree with you.  Let's get as close to the data as possible.
The hash not just is a unique value / identifier but is also has a deep
semantic meaning directly relating to the data.  The solution here is
what Stephen (and I) have been kicking around.  I suggest a clean
envelope type of structure capturing this notion of mutable and
immutable data.  It is a simpler solution and no service is required to
generate it or verify it... you get all of those things for free,
especially in the context of ESGF where these values are a part of the
index itself.  I am with Stephen on this Occam's razor cuts the best.

Gavin M. Bell
--

 "Never mistake a clear view for a short distance."
       	       -Paul Saffo