[Go-essp-tech] What is the risk that science is done using 'deprecated' data?

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 9 02:55:53 MST 2012

Hi Tobias,

I'm not familiar with EPIC.  Does anyone have a reference?  I assume it's based on registration.  In my view hashing provides a more powerful mechanism for global identifiers if you can create a canonical representation of the entity.  Then it's impossible for the entity to change without the identifier changing instead of relying on some trusted authority to enforce the correspondence.

Last time I talked to DOI people it still wasn't completely sorted out whether a dataset can change without changing the DOI.  Sure it shouldn't but there were examples of landing pages evolving over time.  I can foresee a similar problem with any registration system.

Cheers,
Stephen.