[Go-essp-tech] units of wetso4

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Thu Jun 14 11:09:29 MDT 2012

Dear Michael and all,

I have received an question (see below) from Mark wondering if there is
a typo in the CMIP5 "aero" table.  Here is the entry:

1    Wet Deposition Rate of SO4    kg m-2 s-1            wetso4
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_aerosol_due_to_wet_deposition

I would note that the standard name above is an alias for
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_expressed_as_sulfur_due_to_wet_deposition

Anyway, just wanted you to confirm I hadn't transcribed anything
incorrectly.

Even if there is some "inconsistency" in units between wetso4 and
related variables, I think it is too late to change the CMIP5
specifications.  But we might want to rethink what we request the next
time around.

best regards,
Karl