[Go-essp-tech] Dataset versions across CMIP5 Gateways

Estanislao Gonzalez gonzalez at dkrz.de
Mon Jan 23 04:40:54 MST 2012

Hi Sébastien,

This is a known problem about replicas. I'm removing all replicas from
our system (just from the Gateway) hoping this will get solved. This
shoudn't inhibit replication via the BDM, but it will forbid
discovery... Anyway, I was waiting/hoping for a solution to this, but I
see no other option as to retreat them. Should be ready soon...

Regarding your last point:
 > Can you confirm that *not* all users authorised to publish at DKRZ
are able to modify this dataset?

Well indeed they can, since there's only one person authorized to
published to DKRZ (me) and only one person able to change that
authorization (myself) I don't think this is a problem... I guess your
question goes more on why am I able to "write" IPSL dataset. Well,
please remember that we are talking about replicas, so I can't alter
IPSL dataset, but  I can publish a replica. Furthermore, I'm even able
to publish wrong information, i.e. another datasets or a corrupt one,
and mark it as a replica of IPSLs. This is something we don't really
want to happen.
On the other hand, IPSL may remove, alter or do whatever it likes with
the "original", and that's again something archives don't want, at least
not if "our" copy is treated as the "replica".

We do have a lot to define regarding replicas. This is an ongoing
conversation, so I'll kindly ask or stakeholders to speak their mind.

Thanks,
Estani

Am 23.01.2012 10:33, schrieb Sébastien Denvil:
> Dear all,
>
> browsing gateways from PCMDI, BADC and DKRZ using the underlying
> facets of this dataset I observed a strange behaviour.
> cmip5.output1.IPSL.IPSL-CM5A-LR.piControl.mon.ocean.Omon.r1i1p1
>
> This dataset have 2 versions, v20110324 and v20111010.
>
> Only the BADC gateway display the latest version. The other two
> gateways display the old one and never mentioned the existence of a
> new version. I believe this is a major issue due to replication side
> effects.
>
> Because there isn't any "version" facet it would be important to make
> visible every version of a dataset in an homogeneous ways across
> gateways?
>
> http://cmip-gw.badc.rl.ac.uk/dataset/cmip5.output1.IPSL.IPSL-CM5A-LR.piControl.mon.ocean.Omon.r1i1p1.html
>
> http://pcmdi3.llnl.gov/esgcet/dataset/cmip5.output1.IPSL.IPSL-CM5A-LR.piControl.mon.ocean.Omon.r1i1p1.html
>
> http://ipcc-ar5.dkrz.de/dataset/cmip5.output1.IPSL.IPSL-CM5A-LR.piControl.mon.ocean.Omon.r1i1p1.html
>

> Also selecting the administration tab from the DKRZ gateway I can read
> the following:
> Groups authorized for Writing: Users authorized to publish at DKRZ
> Gateway Administrators
>
> Can you confirm that *not* all users authorised to publish at DKRZ are
> able to modify this dataset?
>
> Regards.
> Sébastien

Estanislao Gonzalez

Max-Planck-Institut für Meteorologie (MPI-M)
Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum (DKRZ) - German Climate Computing Centre
Room 108 - Bundesstrasse 45a, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany

Phone:   +49 (40) 46 00 94-126
E-Mail:  gonzalez at dkrz.de