[Go-essp-tech] can I cmor extra variable ?

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Fri Feb 24 10:44:36 MST 2012

Hi all,

I have included the go-essp-tech group in this reply, since the software
will have to handle "unsolicited" CMIP5 output (i.e., output not
officially requested by CMIP5, but produced by CMIP5 model runs).

Thanks, Jamie, for recovering the earlier discussion about this.  From
that discussion (and with some expansion/decisions), unsolicited
variables may be written and served through ESG if

1.  They are written through CMOR (or equivalent)
2.  A special CMOR table has been put together including the metadata
associated with unsolicited variables and would get written by CMOR.
3.  The unsolicited variable names are not the same as any of the
requested CMIP5 variable names.  (A possible exception is that one might
want to provide output of one of the CMIP5 variables, but at a different
frequency than was requested.  In this case the variable name should be
the same as the variable written at a requested frequency.)
4.  The special CMOR table is named "none" and the "product" recorded in
the table is "unsolicited" (not "output").  Thus, the global attribute
in the netCDF files would be "unsolicited", and the filename would begin
with  "<varName>_none_..."   where varName is the unsolicited variable name.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this?

best regards,
Karl