[Go-essp-tech] How does "experiment=volcanic aerosol" come to be in CMIP5?

Mike Berkley mike.berkley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:57:18 MST 2012

The description for historicalMisc is indeed "volcanic aerosol",
instead of "other historical forcing".

esgcet=> select * from experiment where name='historicalMisc';
      name      | project |   description
----------------+---------+------------------
 historicalMisc | cmip5   | volcanic aerosol
(1 row)

If we update the database by hand, will that update THREDDS and the
gateway, or will we need to publish/republish?

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 03:39, Estanislao Gonzalez <gonzalez at dkrz.de> wrote:
> [...]
>  description
> ----------------+---------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  historicalMisc | cmip5   | historical simulation but with other individual
> forcing agents or combinations of forcings
> (1 row)
>
> If you have the same description as we do, then the information is coming
> from somewhere else.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Estani
>
> Am 17.02.2012 23:44, schrieb Mike Berkley:
>
>> Probably, we should have corrected esg.ini before publishing, but we
>> didn't realize that it had this effect.
>>
>> It would help if we knew how to correct the error.  The "volcanic
>> aerosol" description does not appear in the map file, and
>> esgupdate_metadata didn't think "experiment_options" was a property to
>> adjust.  Unpublish and republish doesn't resolve the problem, even
>> with a database delete.  I'm not sure what command to use to update
>> the description in local THREDDS and the gateway.
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 13:04, Karl Taylor<taylor13 at llnl.gov>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> Do you want us to do something on our end?
>>>
>>> I'm not that familiar with esg.ini.  For anyone who publishes an
>>> historicalMisc dataset, will the experiment description that appears in
>>>  ESG
>>> be "volcanic aerosol"?  If so, this is generally wrong, so what should be
>>> done to fix this?
>>>
>>> best regards,
>>> Karl
>>>
>>> On 2/17/12 10:54 AM, Mike Berkley wrote:
>>>
>>> The "volcanic aerosol" description was a  surprise to CCCma, since it
>>> appeared nowhere in our netCDF files.  We finally found "volcanic
>>> aerosol" associated with historicalMisc in the default data node
>>> esg.ini file from PCMDI.  We have corrected our copy of esg.ini, but
>>> have so far not found the magic incantation to update the metadata
>>> description.  Unpublishing and republishing does not change the
>>> metadata, presumably because the data hasn't actually changed.
>>>

>>> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:21, Karl Taylor<taylor13 at llnl.gov>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Gary,
>>>
>>> To be sure, the experiment_id for the CCCMA dataset shown below was (if
>>> correct) "historicalMisc".  When they published it, they chose to name
>>> the
>>> experiment "volcanic aerosol".  This is informational but is not used by
>>> the
>>> ESG search engines or in any other automatic processing that I know of.
>>>  (I
>>> thought whoever was publishing would just put in
>>> experiment="historicalMisc", so it would be consistent with the
>>> experiment_id global attribute.)
>>>
>>> I don't think we've provided much guidance about this (outside the DRS
>>> document), but for each different combination of forcings in the
>>> historicalMisc runs, you should assign a different "physics_version"
>>> (i.e., the "p" in the ensemble identifier, which in the example below is
>>> "p3").  You should also record in the global "forcing" attribute in the
>>> netCDF file each of the forcings included in each of your
>>> historical(Misc)
>>> runs.  If you do an ensemble of runs with the same forcing, they should