[Go-essp-tech] Consistency Across Gateways

Nathan Wilhelmi wilhelmi at ucar.edu
Thu May 19 22:12:58 MDT 2011

Hi Dean,

As we have all noted there are a number of issues with the current search system. I will summarize these along with the causes and plans for resolution.

1) Facet and constraint lists are inconsistent between gateways. https://vets.development.ucar.edu/jira/browse/GTWY-2301 We are actively looking into this issue. I believe BADC has also been looking into this as well. As soon as we know more information we will let everyone know. Currently this is the top issue with the current search implementation to fix.

2) Certain facets are lower cased and prefixed with model_ / institute_ / etc. https://vets.development.ucar.edu/jira/browse/GTWY-2058 This is a known issue, it is the result of design and implementation issues with the current federated search implementation. We did release a work around for this and created a FAQ to document the workaround. I believe this was sent to the relevant lists. The FAQ documenting the workaround can be found here: https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/esgcet/FAQ Once GTWY-2301 is resolved we can re-evaluate the status of the current search implementation to determine if we should pursue a fix for this particular issue.

3) Gateways are returning different number of search results. I believe this is as designed. A gateway may have collections that are published in the gateway but not federated. So the number of hits for a given search may vary between gateways, depending on what has been published vs. federated.

4) Search results are unordered. This is a fundamental limitation of the current search implementation. I don't believe there are any mechanisms in the current implementation to facilitate ordering. I created a JIRA ticket to log possible ways in which users may want to order the search results as this is likely an important feature. https://vets.development.ucar.edu/jira/browse/GTWY-2387

5) Facet constraints wrong order. I think they are actually alphabetical, but the model_ prefix throws it off. Once the name problem is fixed I think this will resolve itself.

6) Cannot search on short names. Good point, I have logged a JIRA issue to track that: https://vets.development.ucar.edu/jira/browse/GTWY-2388

We are working through all of these issues in the coming weeks and will keep everyone posted on progress.

Thanks!

-Nate