[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 Datanode : data access services.

Sébastien Denvil sebastien.denvil at ipsl.jussieu.fr
Mon May 2 07:32:20 MDT 2011

  Dear all,

we received increasing demand asking for regional model boundary
conditions from CMIP5 simulations. Those datasets are heavy and
therefore "wget" is not my favourite answer. I would like this answer to
be base on a ESG-F solution and not a home made one.

In order to build a meaningful response I would like to know what are
the plan regarding the datanode to have :
- openDAP enable with CMIP5 filters.
- netCDF subsets enable with CMIP5 filters.
     * openDAP and/or netCDF subsets will be very useful for those
focusing on a specific region (Africa OR Asia for example). They could
then extract only the area of interest.

- gridFTP enable with CMIP5 filters.
     *gridFTP will be very useful for those focusing on many regions
and/or doing the CORDEX exercise but without a limited area model. It's
very likely that they will download the whole datasets.

My understanding is that gridFTP is not fully functional at this point
of time and that openDAP and netCDF subsets are not yet secure by the
ESG-F security layer.

A corollary coming from those questions : Is there a documentation we
could refer to if we want to update a production data node?

Please refine my understanding.

Thanks.
Sébastien

--