[Go-essp-tech] Upcoming gateway/datanode coordination points

Nathan Wilhelmi wilhelmi at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 15 21:24:41 MDT 2011

Hi All,

Looks like we are coming up on a couple of feature points that may
require some coordination between gateway and datanode versions.

Metrics integration: We are working on this now with a target of having
it available for the 1.3 gateway release. What version of the datanode
is required to expose the AccesslogClientService? For a typical datanode
is this service always configured? This would also be a bump on the
request for information on how to setup this component up on our systems.

Federation Registry: It's not clear if this has to be a tightly
coordinated release chain or not. Perhaps this would be a good point to
take a group look at the proposed service? This isn't in production yet
so it would be much easier to make any desired changes now rather than
after the fact.

I would like to raise up the intended protocol for the registry service.
Gavin, at the previous GO-ESSP telco you indicated using hessian for the
protocol. This seems like this would be a great place to use a rest
service rather than hessian. Conceptually is should be pretty simple to
do as a rest service:

* nodes post their node configuration to the service
* nodes get the registry information from the service. This could range
from a simple give me everything request to very specific queries.

Going the rest route seems like it would be much simpler from a few
aspects. No interfaces to distribute, simple API, don't necessarily need
a client, easily accessible as no limitation on Hessian library support,
etc...

Note: I would would like to see the Hessian APIs in the gateway replaced
with rest based APIs as well.

It would also be really helpful if we could see the intended API for the
client side of the registry service regardless of protocol.

Thanks!
-Nate