[Go-essp-tech] 1.3.0-M2 release available again

Nathan Wilhelmi wilhelmi at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 15 14:10:51 MDT 2011

Hi All,

The M2 release is available again.
https://vets.development.ucar.edu/nexus/content/repositories/releases/sgf/gateway/1.3.0-M2/

We fixed a database initialization problem uncovered this morning. So
please download a fresh copy if you downloaded the release prior to 10
mountain time today.

Based on comments from today's call and e-mails I made a slight change.
The sample registry document we created initially is now available under
HTTPS and the upgrade documents have been updated accordingly. The
gateway simply pulls this file from the configured URL. So the end of
this can be as simple as a file on disk (file://) or could be a REST
style web service (https://). As mentioned in the call today the sample
we put together is a starting point based on the gateways listed on the
esgf.org wiki.

In this release IDP whitelisting is now driven through the mechanism, so
you will want to ensure any idps you are trying to use are listed in the
registry file you are ingesting.

To follow up with a question from earlier today, what happens when the
registry file/service isn't available?

Out of the box the gateway doesn't ship with any registry information.
This way it should be relatively easy to use it in a number of contexts,
no federation, part of the ESG production federation, ESG test
federation, some other federation, etc...

So if you are using the gateway in a federation it will need to pull
down the registry information for the first time. Obviously in this case
the registry file/service will need to be available for this operation
to succeed.

Once running the regsitry information is stored in the database, if
file/service becomes unavailable the gateway will continue to operate in
the last known state. By default the gateway will resync with the
registry at 00:00 and 12:00 hrs. This can also be triggered manually and
in M3 the chron experssion can be overridden in the gateway.properties file.

Please let us know if you have any questions or problems

Thanks!