[Go-essp-tech] download rates

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Wed Mar 2 18:26:45 MST 2011

this should have been sent to go-essp-tech at ucar.edu

sorry about that.

Karl

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	download rates
Date: 	Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:43:42 -0800
From: 	Karl Taylor <taylor13 at llnl.gov>
To: 	esg-support at earthsystemgrid.org Grid <esg-support at earthsystemgrid.org>

Hi all,

When I download a 25 MB CMIP5 file from BADC using the wget method:
* it took 35 sec to get started
* then it downloaded at an average rate of 1.1 MB/min

When I download the same file using the point and click method:
* it took 20 sec to get started
* then it downloaded at an average rate of 1.4 MB/min

When I download 4 files simultaneously (in parallel) using the click
method, I get somewhat slower download rate per file, so somewhat less
than 4 times the data transfer rate I would have gotten downloading them
in series.

Note that at 1 MB/min, I could download 1 GB in about 17 hours or 1 TB
(i.e., about 1/1000 of the entire archive) in about 2 years.

Any way to speed this up some?  (A colleague here downloads files at
about 10 times this rate from ECMWF.)

Note that I haven't checked how fast download rates are from nodes
published to our (PCMDI's) gateway (since they are not yet publicly
available).