[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5: Modeling Centers, Data Nodes, Gateways and Co.

Estanislao Gonzalez gonzalez at dkrz.de
Thu Jun 30 03:57:35 MDT 2011

Hi all,

I couldn't get some information about the CMIP5 Archive regarding where
the data gets originated (modeling center) where it gets archived (Data
node) and where it is published (Gateway). I'm starting to think that
this is not clear at all (if this is not the case, please send the info
to me :-)

We have been trying to gather some data on data nodes and gateways on
the wiki: http://esgf.org/wiki/Cmip5Status
But I seriously doubt it's complete. If you have a gateway or data node
(or know of one) and it's not there, please add it or send me that
information and I'll get it done.

I've started a google map open collaboration project called CMIP5
Topology and added some data about our modeling center, data archive and
Gateway. Furthermore I've linked them together so you can see what gets
archived (and then published) where. If you follow this link you'll get
to the map, which anyone can edit:

http://maps.google.de/maps/ms?msid=216109639615385266789.0004a6d743b7b7ebc681b&msa=0&ll=7.876356,118.493015&spn=178.680641,34.453125

As it's open for collaboration I'll ask you not to put this link on any
page until we get it ready and I can close it. If we need for any reason
a "public" link to it before it's finished, just let me know and I'll
make a copy of it.

Think of it as a GeoWiki. This would help us have a better view over
what CMIP5 means in term of global community.

If you can't edit it (or don't want to), send me at least that data
(location, name, relation (where data gets stored or published) and if
possible a contact email - this won't be display on the map , it will be
shown on the wiki though)

In my opinion this will help us show others the magnitude of what we are
attempting (and achieving soon enough ;-). Not to mention other
possibilities it may open, e.g. displaying the status of the data links,
etc, but let's leave it for the moment at that.

And yes, I can get the approximate location from the institution, data
node or gateway by its IP... but we lack most of those as well.

Thanks,
Estani

--
Estanislao Gonzalez

Max-Planck-Institut für Meteorologie (MPI-M)
Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum (DKRZ) - German Climate Computing Centre
Room 108 - Bundesstrasse 45a, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany

Phone:   +49 (40) 46 00 94-126
E-Mail:  gonzalez at dkrz.de