[Go-essp-tech] Question on P2P and signing of registry docs

philip.kershaw at stfc.ac.uk philip.kershaw at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Jun 2 03:18:31 MDT 2011

Hi Gavin,

>    Indeed this was on my mind as well... You are correct signing is
>    important and should be done.  We can start looking into the
>    mechanics of setting up XMLSec as you suggested.  With respect to
>    security, can we already use the certificate and key present on the
>    node (indeed, I think we should be able to), right?

Yes, that would be the natural thing to do.

>I didn't look
>    at XMLSec, I briefly was looking at installing GPG's library, or a
>    Java crypto library implementation to sign all payloads... using the
>    nodes' cert/key.

XMLSec is a standard rather than a library.  It is needed not just for
signing algorithms.  It encompasses not just signature but also the
translating of XML into a canonical form such that they are suited to byte
for byte comparison in a signature verification process.

>But it begs the question...
>
>    Question, why isn't ssl enough?  With an SSL connection don't you
>    get authentication for "free", which is all we need. If we trust who
>    it is coming from, can't we thus trust the information?

Yes, SSL is sufficient in many cases.  Stepping back a couple of years,
when determining the security architecture, we deliberately avoided cases
where signature would be needed to keep things simple.

However, this p2p scenario inevitably brings in to play the need for
digital signature.  The key issue is that when I pass a registry document,
to another peer I assert information about myself but also information
about other peers too.

So, we all trust each other so what's the problem?  Imagine a node is
compromised and then look at the consequences.

1) Without signature.  I with the compromised cert can modify my own
registry doc but I can also assert any rubbish I like about anyone else's
2) With signature.  I can modify my own registry entry but much as I might
want to, I can't modify anything about anyone else's because they're all
signed.

Cheers,
Phil