[Go-essp-tech] discrepancies among gateways

Muhammad Atif muhammad.atif at anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 25 18:52:45 MDT 2011

Hi Karl,

Thanks for this. We will look into the issue and post an update.

Regards,

On 25/07/11 09:55, Shreyas Cholia wrote:
> Hi Karl
>
> We will look into the NERSC discrepency on Monday.
>
> -Shreyas
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Karl Taylor <taylor13 at llnl.gov
> <mailto:taylor13 at llnl.gov>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     I noticed that as of 15:30 PDT on 7/22/11 that different ESG
>     gateways are serving different amounts of CMIP5 data:
>
>     gateway           # of  CMIP5 datasets available
>     ----------            -----------------------------------
>     PCMDI                 6973
>     BADC                   6973
>     DKRZ                   6973
>     NCI                       6974  (why 1 more than the above????)
>     JPL                        6457  (missing CSIRO-MK3-3 model)
>     NCAR                   6457 (missing CSIRO-MK3-3 model)
>     NERSC                 6458 (missing CSIRO-MK3-3 model)
>     ORNL                         0
>
>     I noticed several other problems:
>
>     1.  NERSC gateway:  the search categories are not correctly populated.
>
>     2.  NCI gateway:  If you click on CMIP5 in search category
>     "project" you get an error message instead of a list of datasets.
>     Error: Failed to convert property value of type [java.lang.String]
>     to required type [int] for property limit; nested exception is
>     java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ""
>     If you then click on CSIRO-Mk3-6-0 in the "model" category, you
>     get 516 datasets returned, which is proper behavior.  Curiously,
>     if you then click on "any model" you get the complete CMIP5 list
>     of datasets, as you should have when you previously got the error
>     message.
>
>     3.  NCAR gateway:  CMIP5/IPCC AR5 appears as one of the "projects"
>     (along with "cmip5").  This is confusing.  We want users seeking
>     CMIP5 data to go to cmip5 and not get distracted by CMIP5/IPCC
>     AR5.  Please remove project CMIP5/IPCC AR5.
>
>     4.  There are inconsistencies among the gateways in rendering the
>     list of models that appear under the "model" search category.  A
>     common problem is that the word "model" appears before some of the
>     model names on some of the gateways (but not others).  Also there
>     are other minor differences (e.g., lower case in the place of
>     uppercase acronyms).  We want users to get used to the "official"
>     CMIP5 names, which they should use in publications.  These
>     official names can differ slightly from the names that appear in
>     the filenames.  The official model name is supposed to have been
>     recorded in each file as a global attribute called "model_id".
>     From information sent to me my the groups, following official
>     model names should appear in the search list (or if this is not
>     possible, the name of the model as recorded in each filename
>     should be used (sorry that sometimes more than 1 model appears in
>     a table cell):
>
>     Official model_id             model name appearing in filename
> [...]

Muhammad Atif
ANU Supercomputer Facility      NCI National Facility
Leonard Huxley, Mills Road      Room 318, Bldg # 56
Australian National University  Ph:  +61 2 6125 5031
Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia   M:   0430 393863
CRICOS Provider #00120C         http://anusf.anu.edu.au