[Go-essp-tech] model names

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Mon Jul 25 18:03:23 MDT 2011

Hi all,

Bob Drach is on vacation, so I'll ask my question to this list.

There is a model_id stored as a global attribute in the CMIP5 netCDF
files.  This name is (typically) passed to CMOR which simply writes it
to the files.  The name is also used by CMOR to construct filenames and
directory names, but it first removes characters forbidden by the CMIP5
specs.  For example, the model_id=BCC-CSM1.1 is changed to BCC-CSM1-1 in
file and directory names.

My question is: If a group published a bunch of data with
model_id=CSIRO-Mk3-6-0 and then published additional data with
CSIRO-Mk3.6.0, would the ESG publisher or related software get
confused?  Note that the model name appearing in filenames and directory
structures is not changed in going from 3-6-0 to 3.6.0.