[Go-essp-tech] ESGF Registry questions....

Gavin M. Bell gavin at llnl.gov
Wed Jul 6 20:16:42 MDT 2011

 Hi Rick

As was mentioned in the registry working group meeting, I will be
fleshing out the wiki documentation describing the registry fields.
I'll send a note when it's modified.  That document should then answer
these questions.  I will also try to put together a small client as was
also suggested (however, I am still not yet clear how I would do such a
thing since there is no such thing as a client in a P2P system). Since
the gateway code is in Java I honestly feel that your effort is largely
wasted re-implementing what has been written.  As I mentioned before the
better at least faster way to go for federation integration is to
install a minimal node that contains the node-manager. Also the first
order of business would to make sure the gateway is using the the
registration xml as per the schema that was agreed upon.

On 7/5/11 2:33 PM, brownrig at ucar.edu wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am preparing to implement the ESGF Registry protocol within the
> Gateway stack.  I've studied the various related docs on the esgf.org
> Wiki
> site, and have several questions that I hope someone will be able to
> answer:
>
> P2P notification:
> Once a site has a populated registration.xml file, presumably it
> periodically sends RemoteEvents to one or more of the remote sites
> listed in the registry.
> - Which sites? (all, selected at random, etc.)?
> - How frequently (only on changes?)
>
> registration.xml:
> What is the meaning of these fields in the xml file?
> - adminPeer
> - defaultPeer
> - nodeType   (what are the possible numeric codes?)
>
> Bootstrapping:
> When a node first joins the Federation,
> - presumably its first posting contains only information about itself?
> - How does it know who to send to?
>
> RemoteEvent:
> What is the meaning of these fields?
> - getOrigin()
> - getSource()
> - getMessageType()  (what are the valid ints that may be returned?)
> - xxxTTLxxx         (what should the initial value of the TTL be?)
>
> Aging out:
> - How does this protocol "age-out" stale information (i.e, a node that
> has
> left, a change in URL for a service of an existing site, etc.)?
>
> I appreciate any insights that might be offered...Thanks!
> Rick

Gavin M. Bell
Lawrence Livermore National Labs
--

 "Never mistake a clear view for a short distance."
       	       -Paul Saffo

(GPG Key - http://rainbow.llnl.gov/dist/keys/gavin.asc)

 A796 CE39 9C31 68A4 52A7  1F6B 66B7 B250 21D5 6D3E