[Go-essp-tech] ESGF Registry questions....

brownrig at ucar.edu brownrig at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 5 15:33:28 MDT 2011

Hi Folks,

I am preparing to implement the ESGF Registry protocol within the
Gateway stack.  I've studied the various related docs on the esgf.org
Wiki
site, and have several questions that I hope someone will be able to
answer:

P2P notification:
Once a site has a populated registration.xml file, presumably it
periodically sends RemoteEvents to one or more of the remote sites
listed in the registry.
- Which sites? (all, selected at random, etc.)?
- How frequently (only on changes?)

registration.xml:
What is the meaning of these fields in the xml file?
- adminPeer
- defaultPeer
- nodeType   (what are the possible numeric codes?)

Bootstrapping:
When a node first joins the Federation,
- presumably its first posting contains only information about itself?
- How does it know who to send to?

RemoteEvent:
What is the meaning of these fields?
- getOrigin()
- getSource()
- getMessageType()  (what are the valid ints that may be returned?)
- xxxTTLxxx         (what should the initial value of the TTL be?)

Aging out:
- How does this protocol "age-out" stale information (i.e, a node that
has
left, a change in URL for a service of an existing site, etc.)?

I appreciate any insights that might be offered...Thanks!
Rick