[Go-essp-tech] Extending the DRS syntax to observations

Bryan Lawrence bryan.lawrence at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 02:42:32 MST 2011

Hi Folks

Sorry I've come late to this discussion.

I've got just two simple points to make (for now).

Firstly, I think this activity (organising observational data to support
CMIP5) is not the same as cmip5 itself.  Sooner or later things break in
the DRS heirarchy doing this, and so I think it would be helpful to all
consumers if this was dealt with at the top level of the DRS.
Additionally, remember obs are timeless, models are not. This data will
be useful beyond cmip5 (e.g. cordex). So I recommend *not*  shoehorning
all the obs data under cmip5 in the DRS.

The DRS allows you to define new activiites, and I'd do so, something
like obs4models or (if you must) cmip5obs ....

Otherwise I'm fine with the approach.

Secondly, wrt to Steve's list below: there is of course swath data as
well ... but otherwise I rather agree that 3 and 1 can be handled the
same.

Cheers
Bryan

> Glad this topic has come up, because it is closely related to the
> editorial issues about "what do we mean by "observation" that I
> floated yesterday.  (Luca -- I will hold off making edits until
> there's a group resolution.)  Arguably there are 3 categories of
> observations, rather than 2:
>
>    1. remote sensed (grids)
>    2. in situ "stations" (time series and profiles)
>           * there are also some potentially important collections of
>             trajectory-based obs -- e.g. surface ocean carbon flux
>             cruise measurements.  Should these be considered?
>    3. in situ gridded products (important and simple to use for
> climate model evaluations)
>           * ocean examples:  ICOADS, World Ocean Atlas
>           * terrestrial examples:  ?? (there must be lots of em, no?)
>
> As of yesterday I envisioned that #3 could be folded into the Wiki
> description of #1 by merely making some editorial changes.  Agree?
> ==============================
>
> On 1/28/2011 8:19 AM, Sébastien Denvil wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would suggest to create separate table for station data and
> > remote sensing data. Also for remote sensing data we will need
> > separate table depending on frequency (monthly or daily or ....).
> >
> > Within a cmor table you can define the following value (in day).
> > This value is used by cmor to check that your time axis is
> > increasing the way it should.
> > approx_interval:  30.000000
> >
> > regards.
> > Sébastien
> >
> > On 28/01/2011 16:31, Palanisamy, Giri wrote:
> >> Hi Luca...
> >>
> >> Good question. So for, we have only added the variables from
> >> Observational station data. We can either make this table common
> >> for both station data and remote sensing data, or create separate
> >> tables.
> >>
> >> Also, the obsSites is still an early draft, and probably needs
> >> more use cases before it can be used.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Giri

adding the following attributes (CMOR table specified attribute) for each
variable:
> >>        -- source   (a string description of a specific source of
> >>        the measurement)
> >>
> >>        -- source_datastream  (file datastream identifier with the
> >>        version)
> >>
> >>        -- source_url  (a reference url for the source data)
> >>
> >>     Greetings,
> >>
> >>     Renata
> >>
> >>     On Jan 27, 2011, at 11:26 AM, Cinquini, Luca (3880) wrote:
> >>         Hi Chris,
> >>
> >>             good question. My feeling is that this information is
too complex to be encoded as part of the file names or directory
structure, and should probably go into two places: