[Go-essp-tech] Extending the DRS syntax to observations

Steve Hankin Steven.C.Hankin at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 28 10:01:35 MST 2011

Glad this topic has come up, because it is closely related to the
editorial issues about "what do we mean by "observation" that I floated
yesterday.  (Luca -- I will hold off making edits until there's a group
resolution.)  Arguably there are 3 categories of observations, rather
than 2:

   1. remote sensed (grids)
   2. in situ "stations" (time series and profiles)
          * there are also some potentially important collections of
            trajectory-based obs -- e.g. surface ocean carbon flux
            cruise measurements.  Should these be considered?
   3. in situ gridded products (important and simple to use for climate
      model evaluations)
          * ocean examples:  ICOADS, World Ocean Atlas
          * terrestrial examples:  ?? (there must be lots of em, no?)

As of yesterday I envisioned that #3 could be folded into the Wiki
description of #1 by merely making some editorial changes.  Agree?