[Go-essp-tech] metadata specifications and data infrastructure

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Wed Jan 26 10:51:33 MST 2011

Dear all,

The experiment names in the CMIP5 DRS document are the same as they were
in March 2010 except for expt. 7.3  (changed from historical?? to
historicalMisc in Nov 2011) and expt. 7.4, which is a new expt. added to
CMIP5 following the WGCM meeting in October 2011.  CMOR will not allow
experiment names other than those in the DRS document, and the CMOR
tables have been consistent with the DRS over the same period of time
(actually they were updated in Feb 2010, before the DRS was posted), so
anyone writing output after Feb 2010 would be correctly recording the
experiment names for all expts. except possibly 7.3.

The only issue then is whether anyone wrote data from the historicalMisc
expt., but used the earlier construct where ?? in historical?? was to be
replaced by a 2 letter designator indicating forcing (e.g., historical SO).

Of course there may be cases where a group by mistake records the wrong
expt. name in their output, and these will have to be corrected as
suggested by Charlotte in item 2 below.

I agree with item 3, so please report any concerns.

P.S.  to see earlier versions of the DRS, click where indicated at:
http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/output_req.html?submenuheader=3#req_format