[Go-essp-tech] Terms of Use Agreement

Martina Stockhause martina.stockhause at zmaw.de
Thu Jan 20 00:36:31 MST 2011

Hi, Dean, hi, Karl,

I made an update on my formulation suggestion from the 01.07.2010. Please feel free
to improve the formulation or find a better location on the CMIP5 pages.

I suggested that we add the Quality Control and Data Publication on the
Model Info / Submitting Data page
http://cmip-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cmip5/submit.html?submenuheader=2, where we
already describe the replication of core data.

I think of a subsection there. To make it a bit more precise:

7. Quality Control and Data Publication
Model output archives such as the IPCC and CMIP archives enable
scientists to write papers based on runs done by others and to perform
their own scientific research. Beside the definition of a proper method
to give credit to the modeling groups while using their data (agreed
climate model data citation reference) the responsible data archives
have to define and to guarantee a certain level of data quality. This
data quality assurance is especially important for climate model data
usage in an interdisciplinary context like IPCC WG II and III.

The CMIP5/AR5 data acceptance and publication is mainly related to three
activities (see http://purl.org/org/cmip5/qc and related documents at https://redmine.dkrz.de/collaboration/documents/4):
* ingest control of data and metadata (Quality Control Level 1),
* additional quality checks for CMIP5 core data and metadata (QC Level 2),
* and the final STD-DOI data publication [1] of core data in co-operation with the data authors (QC Level 3).

[1] STD-DOI is a concept for the publication and citation of scientific
primary data using DOIs (Digital Object Identifiers) developed by a
consortium made up of WDCC, WDC-Mare, WDC-RSAT and GFZ-Potsdam as data
publishers and the German National Library of Science and Technology
(TIB) as publication agent (http://www.std-doi.de). This concept is in
agreement with the regulations of the international consortium DataCite (http://datacite.org).

Best wishes and thanks,
Martina