[Go-essp-tech] Action item: reach consensus on handling CMIP5 user requests

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Feb 2 04:29:09 MST 2011

Hi,

This was discussed at our internal CMIP5 meeting this morning.  We strongly recommend some sort of centralised issue tracking system and, if no other partner has a system in place that they would recommend,
 we can offer our footprints system and do initial triage of queries.  I have setup a meeting with our help-desk manager today to discuss the practicalities.

Martin gives an excellent summary of what would be involved.  We will probably need others in the federation to help with triage, particularly as time-zone differences will have an impact.  There needs to be guidance notes on to whom queries are initially assigned.  There needs to be a system of following-up queries that are left open.  There needs to be an agreed response time (e.g. 1 working day).

Technology-wise footprints is very similar to a bug tracker.  So, like bugzilla and Jira, we would run the footprints application and have the central help-desk email address but everyone in the federation would be involved in dealing with queries.  The interface unifies email and the web -- any changes to a query in the web interface can be emailed to the assignees.  Any email response by the person making the query is automatically logged and forwarded to the assignees.

I will find out whether it's possible to give a short demo at the next ESGF telco.

Cheers,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK