[Go-essp-tech] [esg-node-dev] Data Node 404 Error

Estanislao Gonzalez gonzalez at dkrz.de
Fri Dec 16 09:32:55 MST 2011

Hi Sebastein,

from our side this is caused by too many connections to the server, but
I can't speak for others. The resulting error "might" be a 404 but might
also be a 403, depending probably on wht exactly was the last connection
breaking it (not sure about that).

Our solution was limiting the number of connections per ip, but since
people like jumping hurdles and start accessing from multiple machines,
we might have to start limiting whole subnet masks, which will be very
unfair for some... If I could find a better option I would.

This might not proof to be a perfect solution , since for whatever
reason it might be, tools used for accesing our data node do not close
connections properly and leave them Half-open. This "might" be solved
from the server side when intentionally forcing the connection to be
closed, probably by a GC task (I've also re-tuned the GC of tomcat
hoping it will clean unused connections faster without bothering the
huge TDS cache).

As I said, this is just our particular case.

Thanks,
Estani

--
Estanislao Gonzalez

Max-Planck-Institut für Meteorologie (MPI-M)
Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum (DKRZ) - German Climate Computing Centre
Room 108 - Bundesstrasse 45a, D-20146 Hamburg, Germany

Phone:   +49 (40) 46 00 94-126
E-Mail:  gonzalez at dkrz.de