[Go-essp-tech] tracking_id and check sums was... RE: Status of Gateway 2.0 (another use case)

Kettleborough, Jamie jamie.kettleborough at metoffice.gov.uk
Fri Dec 16 02:49:30 MST 2011

Hello Stephen Bryan,

I wouldn't rely on tracking_id - there is too high a likelihood that it
is not unique. We have seen cases where different files have the same
tracking_id. ('though in the cases we have seen the data has been the
same, there are just minor updates to the meta-data - hmmm... maybe that
statement was a red rag to a bull).   I think the checksum is the most
reliable indicator of the uniqueness of a file.   Though clearly its not
enough on its own as it doesn't tell you what has been changed or why,
or how changes in one file are related to changes in other files.

We've also seen examples where data providers have tried to be helpful -
which is great - and put version number as an attribute in the netcdf
file... but then that has not been updated when the files have be
published at a new version...

Karl - where are we with the agreement that all data nodes should
provide checksums with the data?  I think its agreed in principle, but
I'm not sure whether and when the implications of that agreement will be
followed up.

Jamie