[Go-essp-tech] Incorrect use of missing value in some MRI ocean data -- correction

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Tue Dec 6 04:41:53 MST 2011

Hello Jamie,

For the surface layer of the ocean and for variables at the actual
interface between the ocean and the atmosphere, I think it is clear that
sftof, if properly reported, can be used in all cases to determine which
grid cells are ocean (or sea ice), and which are not.   For models
reported on their native grids, the values of sftof will I think either
be 0. or 100. (%); for models regridded to latxlon grids, the values
will vary between 0. and 100.  This will need to be communicated to
users, and I'm open to suggestions about that.

For the ocean layers below the surface, there are several options, but
perhaps no general solution.  For many fields (e.g., theto, so,
masscello, etc.), a value of 0. clearly will indicate that the value is
missing (because a reasonably realistic ocean would never have a value
of 0.), or perhaps it will be set to "missing", so a user could use any
of these to infer the mask.  I'm not sure how volcello is being reported
when a grid cell is on land or below the bottom of the ocean.  I would
think it would also be either 0.0 or "missing", so it could also be
used, but I'm not sure whether for some ocean grids, cells can appear
and disappear (at the bottom of the ocean). If so, then this field can't
be used in general because it isn't time-dependent.  I think we need to
find out from the modeling groups whether volcello would work in all cases.

regards
Karl