[Go-essp-tech] Initial reactions to the revised registry schema

Estanislao Gonzalez estanislao.gonzalez at zmaw.de
Sat Apr 16 02:17:27 MDT 2011

Hi,

I'm not sure it's totally clear what the registry should offer (nor
where), at least not for me...

I haven't seen the xsd yet (I get a file not found), but I would assume
that the schema Gavin's has provided is intended for the data-node (it's
in the data node manager), not the gateway, so:
1) (Gateway->datanode) Can be done, but it's not really required. The
data node can only describe itself.  The gateway should know while
parsing this (or is this being harvested at a central repository?)
2) (Gateway list) There's no way the data-node can have information
regarding other gateways. If it can, I still think it's not a good idea.

I think we are mixing two different registry concepts: The ESGF Registry
of the whole federation, and the data node registry of their services.

I would assume that the data nodes have a description of their services
publicly accessible. This should also be the case of the gateway.
And the question would be where all this get linked together. For the
time being, I would assume hard coded at PCMDI, where all this data
might get harvested. Or the gateway harvest the description of its
data-nodes and from there to PCMDI.

I'm not sure I've understood the intention of the current
implementation, so sorry if I ask a stupid question here.
Please, feel free to enlighten me :-)

Thanks,
Estani