[Go-essp-tech] Versioning in CMIP5 including QC procedure

Martina Stockhause martina.stockhause at zmaw.de
Fri Apr 15 05:52:52 MDT 2011

Hi, Dean, Karl, and Bob,

there was a discussion started about different types of versioning
inside ESGF for CMIP5 data on the QC request tracker (see:
http://redmine.dkrz.de/collaboration/issues/321). Jeff wrote: "

Bob Drach corrected me on one issue: our PCMDI version numbers are /not/
DRS version numbers, they are just a tool for keeping track of the data
received at PCMDI. Thus these version numbers are generated at PCMDI,
while DRS version numbers are generated by the data producer. PCMDI does
not use Stephen's versioning tool, or the DRS-style version numbers.

"

Is that right? I thought that we agreed on a versioning procedure using
Stephen's tool.

And I do have a problem with different ESG publication procedures (QC
level 1 checks), i.e. different QC procedures at the three partners.
Additionally, the inconsistent naming conventions between WDCC / BADC on
one side and PCMDI on the other side cannot be handled by the QC
Workflow. Since we do a federated QC in three locations we need to use
not only the same tools with the same configurations for a comparability
of QC results, but we need to use the same naming conventions to grant a
continuation of the overall QC process with QC L3 / DOI publication.

Thus the question:
Could PCMDI use Stephen's tool for CMIP5 data versioning as well?

Best wishes,
Martina