[Go-essp-tech] QC2 requirements and status

Martina Stockhause martina.stockhause at zmaw.de
Fri Oct 15 07:04:36 MDT 2010

Hi all,

since we will start with CMIP5 soon, we want to sum up the QC tool
(automated QC L2 checks) requirements:

1. access to the QC DB on qc.dkrz.de
- If you have encountered any unsolvable problems, please let us know.
Then we would start to work on an alternative solution to collect QC L2
results for QC L3 checks. The access can be checked by
telnet qc.dkrz.de 5432, which should establish a connection (firewall
check) and
qcDbselect.py --postgresdb=test1 --list for check of QC DB access

2. QC L2 results are written in a created QC result directory tree in
DRS structure.
- Note that we have no experiences to run it on a cluster.

3. QC L2 checks all files in the newest published version directory.
- It is important that this directory includes a complete set of netcdf
files belonging to this version. We saw this in Estani's tests.

QC Status (QC L2 and L3 procedures):

The adaptations to the new DRS structure are finished.

QC Tool: We still encounter a few problems which needs fixing before we
can tag a version.

QC result evaluation: We are currently working on a concept for
different catagories of errors/warnings and the resulting actions. At
the end we will enlarge the QC Wrapper for exception analyzation.

CIM export: We work with the BADC on the specification of an offline
interface for adding quality information to CIM. Afterwards we will
implement a metadata export out of the QC DB and ingest into the CIM
repository with the help of the BADC CIM qctool. For QC L3 results, we
need an additional metadata update functionality.

QC L3: We have not integrated CIM simulationResults in the cross-checks
so far. It currently double checks data and cross-checks metadata of the
TDS against metadata in WDCC's database. The latter is used go fill the
DOI publication GUI, which is scheduled for beta release at end of
November and for final release at the beginning of 2011. After having
metadata examples accessible via AtomFeed we will add the cross-checks
to CIM in the QC L3 procedures.

Best wishes,
Martina, Frank and Heinz-Dieter