[Go-essp-tech] DOI target page CMIP5

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Thu Nov 18 10:18:47 MST 2010

Hi all,

Has it been decided how large a chunk of data is going to be assigned a
DOI.  Will they be assigned at the DRS atomic dataset level?  Or the DRS
"publication-level dataset" level? or what?   I guess the tradeoff is:

Larger chunks require fewer DOI's
Larger chunks mean that some files will be associated with multiple
DOI's (when a single file in the chunk gets replaced, the chunk will
have to be assigned a new DOI, so all the other files will now be
associated with 2 DOI's).

We will have to provide a service so a user knows what data is
associated with each DOI.  If a given subset of a chunk of data is
associated with multiple DOI's, a reference to either DOI should point
to the same (identical) subset of the data.

Is this confusing?

best regards,
Karl