[Go-essp-tech] DiskDataTransport

Anthony T. Hoang hoang1 at llnl.gov
Wed Nov 10 15:52:16 MST 2010

Hello Dr. Toussaint,
My name is Tony Hoang and I'm the Unix System Adminstrator for PCMDI.  Dr. Karl Taylor (PCMDI) asked me to respond to your inquiry.
At PCMDI, we have 30+ external 2TB disk drives that are ready to be sent out, and I will keep track of them (outgoing/incoming).  These have the USB2.0 interface which is standard and stable.

Sincerely,
Tony

Dear All,

in a recent discussion we came across some questions about a possible data transfer by HD as a backup.

Operational/logistic issue:
- Is it still valid, that PCMDI will buy the devices and disseminate them to the data providers, if necessary? This includes some book-keeping of the paths the disks take.

More important - technical issues:
- What kind of interface will we use? We are strongly in favor of eSATA instead of waiting for USB-3. Firewire-800 seems not to be very common.

- What size of disk groupig should be taken? We probably do not want to send single disks? External Storage Boxes are available as RAID-0 of 4 TeraBytes and beyond which might make more sense. This decision might influence the directory structures on the disk.

Any thoughts?

Best regards... frank

--
/** Dr. Frank Toussaint   * Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum DKRZ
  * Pfitznerstr. 69        * M&D / World Data Center - Climate