[Go-essp-tech] DiskDataTransport

Frank Toussaint Toussaint at dkrz.de
Wed Nov 10 10:04:50 MST 2010

Dear All,

in a recent discussion we came across some questions about a possible data transfer by HD as a backup.

Operational/logistic issue:
- Is it still valid, that PCMDI will buy the devices and disseminate them to the data providers, if necessary? This includes some book-keeping of the paths the disks take.

More important - technical issues:
- What kind of interface will we use? We are strongly in favor of eSATA instead of waiting for USB-3. Firewire-800 seems not to be very common.

- What size of disk groupig should be taken? We probably do not want to send single disks? External Storage Boxes are available as RAID-0 of 4 TeraBytes and beyond which might make more sense. This decision might influence the directory structures on the disk.

Any thoughts?

Best regards... frank

--
/** Dr. Frank Toussaint   * Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum DKRZ
  * Pfitznerstr. 69        * M&D / World Data Center - Climate