[Go-essp-tech] DRS v1.0 and CMOR2.x

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Wed Nov 10 12:59:02 MST 2010

Dear all,

The filenames called for by the DRS and output by CMOR2 (recent
versions) are the same and unchanged.  Right?

I'm not absolutely certain that the quoted section of the DRS is
accurate.  My latest understanding is that the "ESG version will usually
be assigned by the ESG publisher, and it cannot be guaranteed that it
always will be consistent with version number appearing in the ESGF data
node directory structure for the data being published.  In many cases
the directory structure will be generated some days prior to ESG
publication, so the dates may differ."

Does anyone disagree with this?

In any case I think it's much too late to change the directory structure
created by CMOR2 (which, by the way, is optional).

Note that drslib has functionality to transform from any directory
structure whatsoever to the ESGF data node directory structure called
for by the DRS.  Also note that the ESG publisher doesn't rely on the
directory structure being consistent with DRS, although we think it is
important that it be so.

regards,
Karl