[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 / DRS controlled vocabulary

charlotte.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk charlotte.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 28 03:40:40 MDT 2010

Hi Bob

Re the historical forcing experiments in the ESG controlled vocab
document. The document you circulated generally uses upper case to
describe the forcing agents whereas the DRS document always uses lower
case for the second letter of the forcing agent. I guess we need to make
sure that we all match the DRS.

In the CMIP5 questionnaire we are using the following:
Sd anthropogenic sulphate aerosol, accounting only for direct effects
Si anthropogenic sulphate aerosol, accounting for indirect effects
Sa (=Sd +Si) anthropogenic sulphate aerosol direct and indirect effects
To tropospheric ozone
So stratospheric ozone
Oz (=To + So) ozone (= tropospheric and stratospheric ozone)
Lu land-use change
Sl solar irradiance (note: Sl is "S" followed by lower case "L", not an
upper case "I")
Vl volcanic aerosol (note: Vl is "V" followed by lower case "L", not an
upper case "I")
Ss sea salt
Ds Dust
Bc black carbon
Md mineral dust
Oc organic carbon
Aa anthropogenic aerosols (a mixture of aerosols, not explicitly defined
here)

All the best
Charlotte

Charlotte Pascoe