[Go-essp-tech] requirements for scientific workspace

Cinquini, Luca (3880) Luca.Cinquini at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 18 06:24:29 MDT 2010

Hi all,
	as you might know, the Earth System Curator project is looking into building a scientific workspace functionality to be integrated as part of the services provided by the Earth System Grid Federation.
This project is still in the early phases of gathering requirements, and in particular we are discussing wether the workspace should include some limited "social" functionality to the purpose of facilitating
the scientific discussion among members of the community.

We were wondering if there is any interest in discussing the importance, or lack thereof, of this kind of functionality within a scientific workspace, maybe as one of the agenda topics in a future GO-ESSP call.

For example, requirements that might be worth discussing are:

o Should ESGF provide blogging capabilities, for users to discuss scientifically relevant matters ?
o Should ESGF provide the capability for a user to create a personal (limited) profile, with the intent of establishing his/her scientific credibility ?
o Should any user be able to create a group and allow other users of his/her choice into the group ?

If you are interested in having such discussion, please reply to the list. We are especially interested in feedback from the GO-ESSP PIs...

thanks a lot,
Luca for the ESC project