[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 Version directory structure update

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 08:34:57 MDT 2010

Hi Bryan,

> * Yes, and we'll have to increment those documents version to conform
with any changes to the realm
> datasets, even if they themselves don't change.
>
> This nicely contradicts something I was saying at the sprint: that we
could do the associations with a
> query. I should have known better. The registry world deals with these
sorts of associations as first
> class objects in their own right. So, eg, we should have:
>  s: a simulatoin description (v1)
>  d1, and d2: two realm descriptoins (v1)
>  a1: the association from s to d1 and d2 (at v1)

This is confusing me a little.  Are you suggesting s, d<n> and a<n> are
all independently versioned?  Any class that you want to version
effectively introduces a second class, the "class version".  E.g. in
CMIP5 we have "datasets" and "dataset versions".  I can see us getting
into a mess if we have "simulation versions" and "association versions".
Would it be better to just have "association versions" and point the DOI
to that?  What is the use case for versioning the simulation metadata?

S.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
British Atmospheric Data Centre