[Go-essp-tech] CMIP5 Version directory structure update

Martina Stockhause martina.stockhause at zmaw.de
Tue Jun 8 08:00:41 MDT 2010

Bryan,

a small remark on this email as well:

Bryan Lawrence wrote:
> I think this is precisely what the CIM quality package is for. We
> currently have no tools for using it, but funnily enough we discussed
> that this morning.
>
> I see no reason why it can't be used on CIM realm datasets, since we
> (meta4)  *will* have CIM real dataset stuff via the Thredds2CIM code that
> Hans is producing, and that will be visible in the metafor portal.
>
> We think the portal should have the ability to a) allow folks to fill out
> CIM quality records, and b) tag them to documents.

In the DOI process the WDCC functions as data center for the TIB. We
have to store these information at the WDCC as well. So we are
developing for a national project
(http://umwelt.wikidora.com/wikidora/wiki/About%20the%20project)a
procedure for the author approval step during the DOI publication
process, in which the author can change or add some data in the WDCC
data base, like providing additional quality information or changing DOI
authors etc.
We could use it for CMIP5 and exchange metadata with CIM. The effort
might be smaller for the development of a small "Doi2CIM" tool than for
setting up a CIM author approval page and a "CIM2Doi" tool.

Best wishes,
Martina

> How ESGF would use those has not been discussed, mainly because we
> haven't mentioned this part of the CIM in previous discussions, but I
> see no reason why wouldn't have a feed of those too, which ESG could
> pick up ...
>
> Cheers
> Bryan
>
> On Tuesday 08 Jun 2010 12:42:48 Bentley, Philip wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin,
>>

>>> I think there are a couple of issues that need to be resolved
>>> here, but which can be addressed after Stephen has
>>> implemented his versioning
>>> system:
>>>
>>> (1) How does a modelling system provide annotation of a new
>>> data version? E.g. if they find that the institute name has
>>> been misspelt in one of the attributes of the netcdf files,
>>> there should be a brief comment lodged somewhere. I suppose
>>> the logical way to do this is for a comment placed in the ESG
>>> data node in such a way that it can subsequently be harvested
>>> into the METAFOR CIM by the gateway.
>>>
>> That's a pertinent question, and one that we will be interested to
>>  see the answers to :-)
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge we can compile and publish metadata to
>> describe our models and CMIP5-compliant simulations using the
>> METAFOR/CMIP5 questionnaire. And we can use our interface to the CMOR
>> library to attach metadata to the atomic datasets that we submit to
>>  the CMIP5 archive.
>>
>> But we have no way (currently) of recording or providing metadata
>>  (your annotations) at the ESG realm-dataset version level. So if,
>>  say, we update a single atomic dataset in an ESG realm-dataset --
>>  perhaps cos we got the output units wrong -- then it's not clear to
>>  me how that change information will be provided to, and published
>>  by, the ESGF. Perhaps there will be a screen/page in the ESG web
>>  portal interface in which the owning modelling centre can create and
>>  update the appropriate metadata.
>>
>> But I think I'm right in saying that this capability will *not* be
>> provided by the METAFOR/CMIP5 questionnaire since that application
>>  has no knowledge of the concept of a realm-dataset. Metaforians can
>>  set me straight on this one if it's wide of the mark :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Phil

----------- DKRZ / Data Management -----------

Martina Stockhause