[Go-essp-tech] wget data download script

Eric Nienhouse ejn at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 29 07:19:20 MDT 2010

Hi Phil,

Thank you - this is good timing as I am working on the wget script
generation and MyProxyLogon WebStart integration over the next week.

Your script has a lot of good default settings that make for easier use
which is important for our end users.  I'm hoping that the workflow
including MyProxyLogon WebStart and script generation can be made as
user-friendly as possible.  Much will rely on the location and naming of
certificates.

One thing I'm looking at is asserting/testing the wget version.  Older
wget versions have slightly different security related switches (eg.
--sslcertfile vs. --certificate, etc.)  We've also had a number of
support requests historically related to file size limits (<2Gb) in pre
1.10 wget versions.  (This may not affect the AR5 dataset downloads,
however.)

A typical download use case involves scripted download of a large set of
files in a batch script.  Your script should be useful in support of this.

I'm also thinking about curl as a script client.  Have you done any
testing with curl?

I'm focussed first on wget in the near-term as I believe it is more
broadly used and is more familiar to our end users.  However, this is
based more on anecdotal knowledge rather than hard facts.

Thanks again,

-Eric

philip.kershaw at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Just picking up from this action from the last security telco:
>

>> Action Items:
>> - Eric to work with BADC on standardized wget script to link off
>> Gateway
>>

> I've created a data download wget script which wraps the security settings:
>
> http://proj.badc.rl.ac.uk/ndg/browser/TI12-security/trunk/esg_wget_script/esg-download.sh
>
> The basic invocation is:
>
> $ ./esg-download.sh <download URI> --certificate=./user.pem --private-key=./user.pem
>
> The certificate and key would usually be obtained from a MyProxy call via the Java WebStart application.  Many of the settings take defaults or are configurable via environment variables.
>
> I hope this helps.  It should be possible to adapt it for your needs for the Gateway scripts.
>
> Cheers,
> Phil

>>> 2. wget scripts
>>> 3. Consistent CA trust roots across the federation
>>> 4. MyProxy Java Web Start from Gateways
>>> 5. Authorization and attribute service security