[Go-essp-tech] (no subject)

stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Jul 21 04:29:58 MDT 2010

Dear all,

A workshop was held at GFDL last week in order to address some technical
and organisational issues arising from our work on CMIP5 and the ESG
software infrastructure in general.  As an outcome of that meeting we
are proposing the formation of a new working group under the governance
of GO-ESSP PIs specifically to improve the development and deployment of
a software infrastructure serving the earth system science community.

Attached here is our recommendation to GO-ESSP PIs on the formation of
the working group and on our immediate plans.  We are pressing ahead on
the technical aspects but need PIs now to review and agree the
governance situation.  Our working title is the ESGF technical working
group but one of the first decisions to be made is on the name.  If it
is going to be changed it needs to happen soon before it sticks.

At the meeting significant progress was also made on specific CMIP5
issues.  These are summarised in the other attached PDF.

Regards,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980