[Go-essp-tech] Configuring esgcet for CMIP5 and the DRS structure

Bob Drach drach at llnl.gov
Mon Feb 1 12:24:05 MST 2010

Hi Stephen,

Funny you should mention ... I just published a portion of the CMIP3
archive with DRS-style datasets. The project portion of the init file is
attached.

For the attached init file to work you'll need the bleeding edge
repository version of the publisher - there is a tweak to get the
variable_standard_name and variable_long_name fields into the
dataset_name_format options. [I believe if you remove any mention of
variable_standard_name, that Version 2.1 should work, but I haven't
tested it.]

You'll need to change a few things for this to work in your environment:

- parent_id = %(root_id)s.ipcc4.%(model)s assumes that there are
existing intermediate datasets, one for each model.
- directory_format is probably unique to our environment.
- realm is deduced from the directory structure, in our case.

Part of the reason for testing this on our end is to evaluate
publication performance with dataset granularity at the level of
DRS-style datasets. One thing that became obvious is that there is a
per-dataset overhead for each web-service call to the gateway - the
final publish step. It's not too significant when all variables for a
run are grouped together as has been the case up to now. But when each
dataset is a single variable the number of datasets baloons to ~28,000,
and a few seconds per call becomes very significant. The bleeding edge
version has one change that reduces the overhead ~25%, and the gateway
developers claim they have also sped up the publication processing. But
the question still remains what the overhead of the web-service call
itself is. I'll be interested to see what your experience is.

Bob