[Go-essp-tech] About Gateway Installation...

Eric Nienhouse ejn at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 5 12:41:11 MDT 2010

Hi Gavin, All,

Thanks for raising this question.

I believe Gateway support for installation, update and maintenance is
best suited to the NCAR team.  Historically this task has been shared by
PCMDI, NCAR and more recently JPL/NOAA.  This arrangement has led to
some confusion amongst Gateway administrators regarding points of
contact, where documentation resides, etc.  It has also made deployment
coordination difficult as certain tools, such as the gateway
installation/update scripts, are not tightly coordinated with gateway
release versions.

In order to simplify the gateway installations, improve quality and
receive valuable feedback from this process I propose the NCAR team take
on the majority of "front line" Gateway deployment support.  In general
this would include:

1)  Maintain and respond to questions and issues via a gateway specific
email list:  esg-gateway-dev at earthsystemgrid.org
2)  Maintain and respond to an issue tracking system and encourage the
gateway community to log issues. (Jira)
3)  Communicate important software releases, time-lines and milestones
via community email lists.
4)  Document gateway installation and update steps, identify best
practices, support FAQs, etc.
5)  Provide access to quality controlled release versions and nightly
development snapshots.

I also believe it is in the best interest of all that the Gateway team
also take on maintaining the gateway installation script.  Gavin has
been the developer and maintainer of this useful tool up to this point
which has been great.  However, I feel this, too, is best supported the
gateway team due to the dependencies upon gateway software versions and
deployment configuration.  So, I also propose the Gateway team:

6)  Develop and maintain the gateway installation tools and scripts.

Many of our community members have already contributed to these
efforts.  It is my hope that this would continue to be a collaborative
process benefiting the community in general, but with a clear,
centralized point of contact for these efforts.

Please let me know if you agree this is a reasonable plan moving forward.

Thanks,

-Eric