[Go-essp-tech] [esgf-committee] About Gateway Installation...

Gavin M. Bell gavin at llnl.gov
Thu Aug 5 12:06:57 MDT 2010

 Hey Estani,

I would first try to establish what NCAR feels is the proper/prescribed
way that they recommend to install the gateway.
I wrote a script to help with the process which I intended to be useful
for installation.  I honestly don't see the viability of doing every
little bit of the install by hand, there are just too many little
things, IMHO.  I have stopped actively maintaining the script for over 3
months now in order to concentrate on the data node installation, which
has been going really well.  The data node and the gateway script
overlap quite a bit. Both scripts share the globus install script, so if
you are going to edit that file, please also let me know.  Indeed I
could refactor the scripts so that functions that they both share the
same script(s) (but I won't do that until I "find the time" - i.e. don't
hold your breath :-)).

Actually, what *are* the issues you are having with the installation?
Are they with setting up java, ant, postgres, tomcat, liquibase, globus
etc.?  Are they script issues or direct gateway configuration issues?  I
don't want to be in the business of supporting the gateway.  Since I
can't actually change anything in the gateway, putting myself in the
position to support its installation is untenable, so I won't.  If the
gateway code were open and the organization amenable to others making
modifications to it that would be a different story.

Anyway... I hope that there is some value to be found with the scripts.
I am sorry that it doesn't take you all the way to the finish line.
Nate, what do you intend on doing to support these people?  The gateway
and the data node are both critical pieces and we can't do one without
the other, so we are all in the same boat.  What say you?