[Go-essp-tech] Draft report on ESG Federation meeting 2009-10-05

Sébastien Denvil sebastien.denvil at ipsl.jussieu.fr
Fri Oct 23 12:52:37 MDT 2009

Dear all

martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to make sense of the following draft timetable (to be confirmed at the next IPCC bureau meeting):
> http://www.ipcc.ch/meetings/session31/doc4-add1.pdf
>
> May 2011 is the date for the 2nd Lead Author meeting of WG1 -- it looks to me as though the draft WG1 report should be submitted for expert review at that meeting.
>
> In the IPCC procedures (http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/ipcc-principles/ipcc-principles-appendix-a.pdf) there is some wiggle room: the report should only rely on accepted articles except when the lead authors have strong reason to use unpublished material. There does not appear to be any explicit requirement on what can be put in the draft as opposed to the final version, which appears to leave the author team some discretion about articles they expect to be published.
>
> I think May 2011 is the deadline for getting material into the draft, and you can either to that by having it published or by sending preprints to the authors -- the latter route will probably only work for a limited number of people,

I do think like Sandrine Bony and Pascale Braconnot (respectively co
chair and member of the WGCM) that the latter route will work for most
of the people. Deadline are very challenging for everyone. Having
articles accepted by May 2011 looks unrealistic to me (and not only me)
and should be clarified as soon as possible.

I think this point must be clarified by Dean, Bryan, and/or Michael.
Right persons to contact to have it clear are :
Sandrine Bony and Gerry A. Meehl (WGCM co-Chair)
R. Stouffer (CMIP panel Chair) and Karl Taylor (CMIP panel member)

Cheers
Sébastien