[Go-essp-tech] Are atomic datasets mutable?

Karl Taylor taylor13 at llnl.gov
Thu Nov 19 13:34:07 MST 2009

Hi all,

Another common case that we'll have to deal with in CMIP5 and which
should be considered in defining what a "version" is:  For the future
(so-called RCP) runs, CMIP5 calls for runs initiated from the end of the
historical run and as part of the core set of expts., running to the end
of the 21st century.  At a lower priority some of these runs will be
extended to the end of the 23rd century.  Groups will likely carry out
these simulations in stages, sending us the 21st century output long
before the 22nd and 23rd century output becomes available.   The
component time-periods are part of the same experiment and CMOR2 will
write output into the same directory.

I think the users will be confused if a new "version" of model output
(that has been modified in some way) is indistinguishable from model
output that has been simply extended.  Both of the following options
will be confusing:

Option 1) 21st century data for the RCP4.5 future run is received and
identified as version 1.  Then the continuation of that run to the end
of the 23rd century is received and stored as version 2.  New users will
have to download both version 1 and version 2 to get the complete run.

Option 2) 21st century data for the RCP4.5 future run is received and
identified as version 1.   Then the continuation of that run to the end
of the 23rd century is received and stored as version 2 along with a
copy of the data already stored as version 1.  In this case a new user
will get all the data by downloading version 2, but an old user who
already downloaded version 1, won't know if what's in version 2 is a
duplicate of the data he already has, or is replacement data which has
corrected some problems in the earlier version.

I would suggest therefore that for a single experiment, it would be best
from a user's perspective to not assign a new version to model output
that simply extends a previous run.  We will have to find a method by
which to advise old users who already downloaded data that the runs have
now been extended.