[Go-essp-tech] Are atomic datasets mutable?

Bentley, Philip philip.bentley at metoffice.gov.uk
Thu Nov 19 06:49:09 MST 2009

Hi Folks,

I think I'm the only UKMO person who subscribes to this list so I should probably chip in ;-)

Our line of thinking yesterday was that, for these long simulations, because we'd only be *extending* the timespan covered by the atomic dataset and not actually *modifying* the content of the existing netcdf files comprising the dataset, we weren't sure if this really constituted a new version.

However, the arguments and examples put forward on this list do indeed suggest that we are dealing with a new version of the atomic dataset - i.e. when thought of as a holistic collection of files. So although the file content may not have changed, the definition of the dataset has (e.g. vN = 10 files, vN+1 = 11 files).

Presumably there needs to be some corresponding process to handle versioned updates to the corresponding metadata. But that's another story I guess...:-)

Regards,
Phil