[Go-essp-tech] NetCDF4 compression. write efficiency andCMIP5policy

martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 12 09:54:20 MST 2009

Hi Gary,

We are sure that there is no alternative to using compression at this
stage, which doesn't quite answer you question, but is relevant. We
would not be able to cope with the volume of data and the logistics of
moving it around if we could not use compression. The netcdf-4 library
is available and very easy for the technically aware to switch to now,
and I think we can be sure that it will percolate into user software
before the general release at the end of next year.

The issue now is how to configure the compression so that we get maximum
down the line benefits for minimum up front pain. This data is going to
be in use for a long time, so it is worth spending a few CPU cycles to
store it efficiently,

Cheers,
Martin